Grandma's Homemade Breadpudding

12:15 AM Unknown 0 Comments



I was feeling very nostalgic this week and I really wanted some kind of comfort food as well so I decided to make a lovely breadpudding. A wonderful recipe that was handed down in my family from my grandmother to my mother and then to my sister and me. We all L.O.V.E. breadpudding in my family but I'm no big fan of raisins and dried fruits in cakes or puddings and nor is Rhassz so I erased those out of my recipe. 

I'm a little sad that my grandma can't make this pudding herself anymore but I will cherish it forever and pass it down to my children in the future. 

This is a wonderful recipe to get rid of bread that is no longer tasty to eat.

Note: If you do like dried fruit, add some raisins or even rum raisins to this recipe. Just soak whatever fruit you wish in rum. 

Ingredients: (please note that I'm European and that I'm using the metric system)
400 grams of old white or brown bread (I prefer white)
3 slices of gingerbread
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 vanillapod or 1 bag of vanillasugar if you can't find any vinallapods
6 deciliters of milk
80 grams of dark brown sugar
100 grams of white chocolate 
50 grams of dark chocolate
3 eggs
A knob of butter
A pinch of salt
Flour
Icing sugar



Other supplies:
Mixingbowl
Wooden spoon
Knife
Choppingboard
Pan
Baking tin (rectangle or round doesn't really matter)


Recipe:
Put a pan on a low heat and pour the milk in. Slice the vanillapod in half and scrape out all the seeds, add this to the milk as well as the empty pod. If you don't have a vanillapod just add a bag of vanillasugar to the milk

While the vanillamilk is heating up, slice the bread in 2cm by 2cm pieces. You can add the crust and put these into a mixingbowl. Do the same with the slices of gingerbread. Add the cinnamon, brown sugar and eggs to the pieces of bread. 

Note: This is were you would also add the rum raisins or other dried fruit if you want to. 

Get the vanillapod out of the milk and pour the milk over the bread and egg mixture. Start stirring immediately so the eggs don't have a chance to heat up and become an omelet. Keep stirring the mixture until the bread has soaked up the moisture. It's not a problem if there are still some chunks in there. Add a small pinch of salt.


Last but not least cut the chocolate into rough pieces. Don't add them just yet or they will melt into the mixture since it won't have completely cooled down yet.


Preheat your oven at 170°C or Fahrenheit. 

Melt the knob of butter and pour into a baking tin. Pour some flour into the tin and shake it around so it coats all sides of the tin. This will prevent the breadpudding from sticking once it's baked.


Now add the chocolate to the mixture and stir well. Pour the mixture into the baking tin and place in the oven for an hour. Check the pudding every now and then since baking time can vary according to your type of oven. You can do so by pricking in it with a toothpick near the center. If there is no batter on the toothpick it's done.


Let the breadpudding cool down and release it from the tim, it's possible that you have to trace the edges with a knife. Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy!


Have you ever made breadpudding and did you like it? Tell me in the comments below.

Miss Kitty Heart is on:

You Might Also Like

0 comments: